Good evening friends. Hope you all are doing great!
Today’s alphabet is L and the skin food is Lychee.
Lychee is an exotic fruit which grows in the tropical and sub tropical regions of the world. It is a juicy, pulpy fruit with an easily peel-able bumpy skin and a big seed within. Lychee is a seasonal fruit available is summer season. It is a wonderful fruit with a wealth of health benefits, including its ability to boost the immune system, prevent cancer, improve digestion, lower blood pressure, defend the body against viruses, improve circulation, aid in weight loss, protect the skin, and optimize metabolic activities.
Let us see the benefits of lychee for skin:
- Vitamin C: Lychee is an excellent source of vitamin C. 100 gm of lychee provide 71.5 mg of vitamin C which is 119% of daily recommended value of vitamin C. Vitamin C is a fabulous antioxidant which protects skin from the effects of harmful free radicals. It also helps in the synthesis of collagen which is responsible for the firmness and elasticity of our skin. Collagen keeps skin youthful and prevents wrinkles and fine lines. Vitamin C also boosts immunity of our body.
- Oligonol: This powerful phenolic compound found in lychee has been connected to a number of important health benefits, including anti-influenza activity, an improvement in circulation, a reduction in weight, and the protection of your skin from harmful UV rays when exposed to the sun. It also demonstrates considerable antioxidant capabilities, just like vitamin C. Thus it prevents premature ageing of our skin due to the UV rays.
- B-complex vitamins: Lychee is a very good source of B-complex vitamins such as thiamin, niacin, and folates. Niacin boosts skin hydration and keeps it moisturised. These nutrients are vital for metabolism of fat, carbohydrates and proteins. A good metabolism of nutrients is vital for a good skin.
- Copper: Copper is a mineral found in considerable amounts in lychee. Copper is an important mineral in RBC (red blood cell) formation. It boosts circulation and increases oxygenation to the cells and organs. As the skin gets good blood circulation, it looks fresh and nourished.
- Potassium: This is another mineral found in lychee. Potassium helps our body maintain its fluid balance. A fluid imbalance results in either dehydration or water retention. Both of these reflect on our skin.
Next time you see lychees, please eat them. We, in Mumbai are not so lucky as we get lychees for an extremely short period of time. But still make the most of it.
A note of caution: Lychees are high in sugar, so diabetics should be very careful and should stop at a couple of lychees.
Sharing a quick recipe:
Lychee lime lassi recipe
This is a refreshing drink to have in scorching summer.
1 cup low-fat yogurt
1⁄2 cup chopped lychees
1 fresh lime juice
1⁄2 tablespoon honey
a few ice cubes
a pinch of salt
- Blend all in a blender till smooth and frothy.
Please leave your comments as they keep me going. Also leave your email id for regular updates. Thanks.