Dear friends, wish you all a very happy and healthy new year!!! I am sure you all have begun this new year with a bang.
You know, losing weight and being healthy is among the top resolutions of new year. Ya I know many of you also have similar resolutions. So just go ahead and work towards being fitter, healthier, slimmer, stronger and happier. Don’t break this resolution. Watch this space for health related info.
As for today let’s continue our series of A to Z skin foods. In the skin food world, G is for Guava.
This humble fruit is very easily available in Indian markets. It is a highly affordable fruit and is a powerhouse of nutrients. With its unique flavor, taste, and health-promoting qualities, the fruit easily fits into the category of new functional foods, often labelled as “super-fruits”.
Guava has green skin and the pulp is either white or pink with seeds. Guava is a rich source of vitamin C. It also has vitamin A, vitamin K, folate, potassium, B complex vitamins and antioxidants.
Let us see the benefits of guava for skin.
- Vitamin C: Guavas are rich source of vitamin C. 100 gm of guava provides 228 mg of vitamin C, about 4 times more than an orange. Vitamin C is extremely vital for skin health as it contributes to formation of collagen, the substance which keeps skin firm. It prevents premature wrinkling of the skin and keeps skin looking young. The flesh just beneath the skin contains highest amount of vitamin C so eat the skin as well.
- Antioxidants: Guava is a rich source of antioxidants. Vitamin C is a good antioxidant. Guava also has other antioxidants like vitamin A, beta carotene, lycopene (in pink guava), lutein and cryptoxanthin. These antioxidants prevent our skin from free radical damage. These antioxidants protect healthy cells from toxins that accumulate in the body due to metabolism and environmental pollution. The damaging effect of toxins includes premature aging, because they damage DNA in charge of growth and development. Lycopene has been found to protect the skin against UV rays.
- Vitamin K: Guava has vitamin K which helps to treat skin discoloration, such as dark circles, spider veins, rosacea, acne irritation and overall splotchiness . It heals because it improves blood coagulation, which is impaired in cases of skin redness and irritation.
- Fibre: Guava is rich in dietary fibre which helps to keep the digestive tract clean and healthy. It prevents constipation by regularising bowel movement. Healthy digestion reflects on our skin in a good way.
- Guava is also rich in potassium, folate, pantothenic acid and other minerals like magnesium, copper and manganese.
See, a humble guava can help us achieve our dream of healthy, glowing skin.
Here is a guava recipe:
Guava chutney is a simple and quick recipe.
2 guavas (medium ripe)
1 inch piece of ginger
1 tsp cumin seeds
1-2 green chillies
few sprigs of coriander leaves
2 tsp lemon juice ( add more as per taste)
salt to taste
1 tsp sugar
Blend all the ingredients to a smooth paste. Add little water and adjust consistency.
Enjoy this healthy and tasty chutney!!